Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Tuesday, March 11, 2014
Posted by Sarah Stollery at 11:59 PM
Posted by Sarah Stollery at 11:52 PM
Monday, March 10, 2014
Continuing from my first post, this is the finished serial slice project I created:
On my own, I created a file in rhino, and pulled it into Keyshot to render the surface and lighting for a sapphire look:
I also started another serial slice project, but this time I layered plywood and hardboard . I'm currently in the process of sculpting and finishing the project:
I tried to finish the project using bondo, which was a bad idea. So I am starting over on it. But it had issues coming together on the first try anyway, so it will be much better the second time.
More work, including sculptures and paintings, can be viewed on my website: www.timkentart.com
Sunday, February 23, 2014
This is a sculpture I designed a few years ago, and originally carved in plaster. Since then, the 2D drawing has been a basis for my sculptural work. This is to say, all my sculptures are a transformation from the original 2D paper drawing. I was excited to be able to take this practice into the 3D world. Using the 3D scanner, I was able to trace a foam maquette into the computer, and after a few hours of cleaning up the file, it was ready to be played with in Rhino. I am excited to now be able to morph the form dimensionally, rather than being confined to the limitations of 2D rendering.
One of the first things I did in Rhino was learn how to contour the form. This was a fundamental step for learning how to Serial slice an object. One I had a contour drawing of the sculpture, I went into the perspective mode of Rhino and used the command "draw 2d". This created a drawing of the contours in the prospect I was looking at it. I was then able to laser engrave this image using the laser cutter.
Finally, I got my pieces back from the laser cutter, and it was time to put them together. Here you can see that process. In my following post I will show some more completed works. Digital applications of sculpture has been really interesting so far and a nice break from oil painting. I am excited to see how it will influence my art.
More of my work, including oil painting, drawing, sculpture, mixed media, and replicas can be viewed on my website: www.timkentart.com
Monday, February 17, 2014
Genna Williams: Winter Quarter, Post 1
Posted by Genna Williams at 7:11 PM
Posted by Cedrick Wiley at 7:08 PM
Friday, November 22, 2013
For my pepakura piece, I decided to continue with my Queen figure exploring how it would look with different digital applications and so I decided to build it using pepakura. I was really happy with the turn out and I learned a lot about assembling pepakura figures. I hope to make all of the pieces from the set and pitching it as an installation piece someday! Heres some pictures of the whole process.
As it got to the end the piece became a bit difficult to put together and despite all of the finger gluing the end result was completely worth it.
Posted by Federico at 10:54 AM
This was a quick material exploration I decided to also carry out to see how one shape can communicate differently depending on the material and the size it is executed in. Ther first one was using Serial Slicing and cardboard and the second was a painted 3-D print.
This shows my vase and proposal for my 3-D print as well. Enjoy!
Posted by Federico at 10:49 AM
For my Mill project, after trying a few different ways of finishing it I decided to use this beautiful blue color I had, to allow for the triangular forms to create interesting geometric shadows on themselves once hung. I really liked the composition of the final piece.
Posted by Federico at 10:45 AM
Once I had completed my vase I decided to try a new technique of using graphite powder with super 77 and a fixative to add a strong color and a bit of texture. It was not my first color choice but it was an explorative piece therefore I decided to go for it and try something new. The finish looked very interesting in the end
I really liked how the finished piece plays with its own shadows creating an interesting reflection on the table depending on where the light comes from.
Posted by Federico at 10:43 AM
I took my FDM 3-D printer and was able to sand it smoothly and then paint it with a silver finish which is how I imagined it to be if it was a public art installation. The piece would be very large in context and allow people to walk through the holes of the structure and be able to look outward creating a new experience.
Posted by Federico at 10:40 AM
Thursday, November 21, 2013
Pepakura is an exciting process! I would love to use it for a full character costume some day. Its a long process that involves Maya (or any polygonal modeling software), Pepakura, Adobe Illustrator, and Rhino. The cardboard is printed using the laser cutter. Assembling the pieces can be tedious but rewarding in the end. about 1000 polys in a human size sculpt took a while to build.
Posted by Edward Holecko at 10:51 PM
I had a lot of fun with the laser cutting technique. I created both a cardboard and a ply-wood laser sliced print using a scan of a creature maquette.
The scanner doing its magic! Its incredible how quickly cardboard can be printed...
After adding wire extensions and accessories, I airbrushed over the wood to tie the piece together.
I absolutely love the aesthetic of a sliced sculpture...
I used the grinder and dremel tools to sand down certain areas of the sculpt.
Posted by Edward Holecko at 10:46 PM